You know that carefree "I can indulge myself" attitude you adopt when you're on vacation? Feels pretty fantastic, doesn't it? When we're on vacation, we allow ourselves to eat, say, and do many things that we try to repress in our everyday lives. We let our impulses guide us, and the result is a refreshed, relaxed, calmer self at the end of the trip. Not to mention, many people report that their sex lives vastly improve during vacation — something about the beach, the sand, and the surf gets couples in the mood to connect in new and erotic ways. Wouldn't it be nice if we could work a little of that vacation magic into our daily routine, particularly when it comes to our romantic relationships?
I'm not recommending laziness or that you go hog wild each and every day of the week — not only would you squander your life savings faster than you can say "spendthrift," you'd lose the feeling of luxury, the sense that you are treating yourself. But allowing a moment of "what the heck, I deserve this" every once in a while will rejuvenate and relax you, as it brings a little more joy into your non-vacation days. Here are a few ideas for how you can get into that miles-away-from-home mind-set without packing, planning, or plane tickets:
- Turn your phone off, and resist the urge to check your e-mail for a full day.
- Schedule an afternoon massage or other spa treatment.
- Try a new restaurant or cuisine — anything but "the usual"!
- Read the paper or chat with friends while you sip that morning coffee, rather than diving right into work.
- Sleep in.
- Sneak into a nearby hotel and go swimming in their pool.
- Get a pedicure in an eye-popping beach color like ocean blue or sunny yellow.
- Read a "beach book" or gossip magazine, preferably outside.
- Explore a local tourist attraction that you've never visited.
- Watch a sunset/sunrise.
- Go to brunch with your girlfriends.
- Stay in a nearby hotel and order room service.
- Wear a sundress and take an afternoon stroll with your partner — hand-holding optional!
- Make a vacation-themed cocktail (like sangria, piña coladas, etc.) and sip it on your porch.
- Buy vanilla ice cream and root beer, and make homemade root-beer floats with your partner!
- Go fishing, kayaking, or hiking — whatever outdoor activity your neighborhood offers you.
- Mix some salt and water, and then spray it into your wet hair. Let it air dry in the sun for beachy waves.
- Hit up a local tanning salon for a sexy (and safe) spray tan.
- Share some Popsicles with your partner in bed.
- Buy some beach-scented perfume with notes of sand and sea spray.
- Get some fruity candles that bring to mind vacation, such as piña colada or watermelon scents.
- Play hooky from work and spend the whole day with your partner. Eat breakfast in bed, go to a local museum, and have a picnic in the park.
No matter what you do, make sure to enjoy yourself this summer, even if you can't get away!